I love baby shorts, especially when they have a fun shape and different design, like bubble shorts or drop-crotch shorties. I made Plum these baggy booty shorties during nap time, and when she woke up and I tried them on her, I literally squealed with delight because the combination of the baggy shorts and her chubby legs made me swoon.
All of the sudden, my baby has become a cruiser. Not just a toddler, mind you, but a full climb on top of everything, race through the house sort of girl. She is a ball of joy, and I love making new outfits for her that play up the fun, sweet girl that she is. I’m excited to share both the free pattern and full step by step instructions for these baggy booty shorties today. Isn’t the off-center drawstring cute? It’s one of my favorite parts!
Although she’s growing up and getting crazy, we’re still in full diaper mode for a while. I was excited to hear about the newly designed Pampers Cruisers at Target. One of the exciting features of these new diapers is that they don’t sag! I was curious to see how that worked, because although I adore a baggy booty pair of shorts, a saggy wet diaper isn’t as charming. We picked some up on one of our regular trips to Target (after filling the cart with necessities from the dollar spot, of course) and have been using them for a couple weeks. The first wet diaper surprised me because it was so thin, I couldn’t even tell that it was wet. It felt almost like a swim diaper, except that all of the wetness had actually been absorbed into the diaper’s extra absorb channels, rather than turning into squishy gel, like other diapers we’ve used.
That means we can go from the bottom, diaper drawer, up into the middle, outfit drawer and pick out clothes knowing that they are going to fit right, all day. The adorable baggy booty of her shorts won’t ever get filled up by the sogginess of her diaper. I like that.
This day we covered up her cute diaper with the DIY baggy booty shorties in this amazing camel gingham fabric I snagged at Hobby Lobby, our favorite hot air balloon tee by The Yellow Cabinet, a black crosshatch bow by Ellia May Designs, and her Platinum Moccasins by Freshly Picked. And the only way she stands still is bribed with treats. Okay, okay. Eat your fruit snacks you adorable little model.
Are you ready to make some Baggy Booty Shorties of your own?
Download and print the free Baggy Booty Shorties Pattern (sizes 0-3T), tape the two pages together, and let’s get started!
1/2 yard of fabric
1 yard of 1″ elastic
1 yard of twill tape or coordinating ribbon for the tie
1) Print the pattern and tape the two pages together. Follow the guide to cut along the pattern pieces in your desired size. Cut out the fabric on the folds as shown on the pattern, and transfer the buttonhole marks.
2) Place main pieces right sides together and stitch up the side seams. I used my serger, but you can use a sewing machine no problem.
3) Iron the leg cuffs lengthwise, then open up the leg so the cuff can lay flat along the edge, and stitch through all three raw edges. Repeat on the other leg.4) Press the leg cuffs flat, and then align the main pieces right sides together again.5) Stitch across the crotch, closing the leg cuffs, as well.6) Turn the shorties right side out and press.
7) Sew the button holes off center as marked on one of the waistband pieces, then stitch them together at the side seams with right sides together. Iron the waistband in half. Open the button holes carefully.8) Align the side seams of the waistband and the main shorts, and make sure the button holes are right sides together on the front of the shorts, then stitch all three raw edges together. Flip the waistband up and press flat.9) Cut your elastic according to the chart, thread through the button holes, then stitch the ends together to secure.
10) Cut your twill tape according to the chart on the pattern. Thread the twill tape through the button holes and leave the ends out to tie into a bow. You can use the tie to tighten the waist on the shorties as needed.
You’re done! Find a cute baby and try them on, then die of cuteness!
Take advantage of these special offers on the new Pampers Cruisers at Target:
August 23- August 29, Buy 3 Pampers Giant Packs Get a $25 Gift Card
August 30 – September 5, Buy 2 Pampers Giant Packs Get $10 Gift Card
Giant Packs include: Pampers Cruisers and Pampers Swaddlers diapers and both offers will be available in store and online
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Five Days to Freedom: Tips for Choosing Less Stuff and More Adventure in your Daily Life
Five lessons with practical tips and exercises to help you feel more in control of your life!