As the summertime approaches, we are always looking for fun treats to share with friends at neighborhood get togethers or play dates. Combination desserts always win everyone over by appealing to a lot of different tastes, and being a bit more exciting. Like this sweet and salty Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake I created in partnership with Dreyer’s. It would be so fun at a movie themed party, after a fun dinner party, or just for something a little different to serve.
The smooth, creamy Dreyer’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight Light Ice Cream pairs sweetly with a fluffy butter yellow cake, then when topped with salted caramel topping and crunchy caramel popcorn, every bite is irresistible.
We appreciate a good dessert, and also really appreciate when we can feel good about the ingredients. Like how this Slow Churned Caramel Delight ice cream features non GMO ingredients, 1/2 the fat and 1/3 less calories than full fat ice cream. There are no artificial colors or flavors, and the ingredients include fresh milk and cream. Sounds like a dessert I can get behind.
We recently shared this caramel popcorn ice cream cake with family during a celebration weekend and everyone “oohed” and “ahhed” over the delicious flavors, as well as how much fun it is to put together and eat! A little novelty, like adding your own crunchy popcorn and a drizzle of caramel while serving, makes for some memorable moments.
The steps are super simple, so anyone can put one of these fun caramel popcorn ice cream cakes together in a flash. You can use your favorite yellow cake, whether homemade like this one, or from a mix. You could even find a plain yellow cake at a local bakery and sub that in for a no-bake option.
Are you ready to make your own?
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 carton of Dreyer’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight lite ice cream
1 layer of your favorite yellow cake
2 cup of salted caramel topping
3 cups of crunchy caramel popcorn
springform pan *optional
- Layer plastic wrap into the bottom of a springform pan. If you don’t have one available, you can use a deep cake pan. Make sure to leave a few inches of plastic hanging out on all sides.
- Pull the carton of ice cream out of the freezer to soften for 5-10 minutes before scooping.
- Lay the yellow cake layer into the bottom of the pan.
- Scoop the carton of Slow Churned Caramel Delight Light Ice Cream onto the cake, covering the whole area.
- Spread the ice cream out flat.
- Put the cake into the freezer for the ice cream to harden again.
- Pour 1 cup of caramel topping onto the cake, then return to freezer. Save the other cup of topping for serving.
- When you are ready to serve, pile a handful of crunchy caramel popcorn onto the top of the cake.
- Set up a simple buffet with the caramel popcorn ice cream cake (sliced into 12 pieces), a bowl of caramel corn, and the caramel topping. Let each person serve themselves a slice, then top with more crunchy popcorn, and a drizzle of salted caramel topping.
- Eat and enjoy!
Created in partnership with Dreyer’s Ice Cream.